If you are reading this, chances are that you have built a new house or purchased an under construction property for which you require a new electricity connection. The procedure is simple but time taking and has to be completed within thirty days as defined in the citizens charter.
Summary: Submit the application form along with wiring diagram of the house needs to be approved and then the installation begins. LT consumers are usually bracketed in the group where power usage is less than twenty five KiloWattt or the property should be less than 500 square metres of built up area. Around two decades back, getting an electricity connection was a very tedious process but the internet has simplified the process to a large extent.It has been entrusted with the job of supplying electric power at affordable rates to the citizens of Bangalore. Since the city is a hub of information technology and IT-enabled industries, constant and reliable power supply like Delhi and Mumbai is the need of the hour. The authority has risen up to the challenge and the high number of queries on search engines are a proof that BESCOM connections are in high demand. bill payment can be done through multiple touch-points either by cash, cheque or electronic payment modes.
Step by Step Process explained in detail
1) Obtain the A form form also known as the application form from the sub-divisional office in your area.Fill up the A form and register the same by attaching the following set of documents along with a fee of INR 50 that is charged per installation: Ownership proof, House tax receipt or commercial certificate, Personal ID proof, Passport size photo, Mobile number, Power supply agreement
Points to note: Ownership proof can include the sale deed,property tax paid receipts, sanction plan, architectural plan duly signed by a registered civil engineer, route sketch.
*Personal id proof can include: voters ID, Pan Card, Aadhar card, driving license etc. Maximum number of applications get rejected as they are not complete in all respects resulting in wastage of time, money and energy for the end user.
2) Once you have submitted the above documents, you will be given a unique registration number through which you can track the status of your application online. It also reflects that all the documents that you have submitted are complete and authentic.
3) In the next step a field officer will inspect your house and prepare an estimate based on the wiring diagram that you submit to him. Along with the wiring diagram, you will give to the wiring inspector a test report that a licensed electrical contractor will give to you after signing it. he will only sign it once he is convinced that there are no faulty connections in the house. Both these documents should be complete in all aspects and then only the power is sanctioned after payment of security deposit and infrastructure charges.
4) After the prescribed load has been sanctioned, you will need to pay couple of deposits and infrastructure charges. The sanction is valid for one month during which you will have to pay the following set of charges associated with any new connection: Service line charges, Service connection charges,Security deposit based on load and Meter security deposit based on meter capacity
5) If the above charges are not paid in the stipulated time frame, then the sanction can be withdrawn. All these charges can be deposited at the office along with the wiring diagram, test completion report and the power supply agreement.
6) Upon receipt of all completed applications and deposits, the sub divisional office will issue a work order and the Area engineer will install your meter. He will also obtain a revenue record and service the connection.
7) As per the new norms outlined in the Citizens charter, new installations will be serviced within thirty days of the submission of the completed application. But the feasibility report for sanctioning power supply must be done within seven days of receiving the application. This is a step towards greater transparency in the customer relationship area.
8) For those moving to a new house: Many residents admit that the bills keep coming in the name of the previous owner long after the sale has been made. To rectify this and ensure that the electricity bill which is a valid document comes in your name; you need to undertake the following steps. Submit a formal request letter to the area sub divisional office with RR number, name, address, telephone number and the following docs: Copy of sale agreement, No-objection certificate from builder, owner or society, Sale deed, Tax payment receipt, Copy of last paid electricity bill,Indemnity bond.
Keeping your application complete in all respects increases your chances of getting approved and swift action can be taken on your requests. Faulty or incomplete applications delay the process.
In case you do not have consent letter from the previous owner if he has moved out of the city or cannot be contacted, then you need to pay security deposit once again to undertake transfer of installation in your name through a “Name Transfer Document” available at the BESCOM office that has an indemnity bond, name change form, NOC format along with a file and fees of rupees three hundred wherein rupees 100 is used for installation purposes and rupees two hundred for stamp paper. A per present norms, the transfer should be complete in twenty days maximum.
There are fixed charged for every Twenty five kw sanctioned and additional load is charged separately. You need to keep electricity consumption to a minimum as the cost per unit of electricity increases as consumption goes up. If you find the above process of getting an electricity connection in Bangalore connection tedious, you can entrust it to a real estate agent who helped you buy the property or the plot of land in the first place. They will eager to oblige you and complete all formalities in return for a small fees.
Good luck for a new connection and do tell us about your experience in the comment section.